Yup, more chocolate today! But this chocolate is of the unhealthy variety, unlike the muffins earlier this week. Unfortunately, chocolate is not always appropriate for breakfast. Although I really am not sure if life would be complete without the decadent, unhealthy version in it.
Or at least my life.
Triple chocolate macadamia nut cookies – you most definitely need these in your life soon. A soft and chewy chocolate cookie (with both cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate) filled with dark chocolate chunks, white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. This is most definitely a chocolate lovers cookie!
I even put white chocolate in these, for all you white chocolate people out there. I must say I’m not a fan generally. With white chocolate it kind of seems that you love it or hate it, and I definitely fall into the hate it category. It’s just not chocolate. I’m sorry, but it’s true. I will never choose white chocolate when there is any other variety available. Or any other snack of any kind really!
But there’s something about macadamia nuts in cookies. They just need white chocolate. I don’t know why. For some reason it works for me, even when I really don’t like it in anything else. So if you’re like me and don’t actually think white chocolate IS chocolate, you may still like it in these triple chocolate macadamia nut cookies. It works, trust me!
And if you love white chocolate anyways, well, you’re crazy. Also, you’ll love these cookies! There’s lots of chocolate, there’s macadamia nuts, there’s a soft and chewy brownie like cookie. Nothing bad here.
If you want to have one for breakfast, I would probably even be on board with that, whether it’s an appropriate choice or not!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (or about ½ cup dark chocolate chips)
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, chopped coarsely
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a microwave safe bowl or large measuring cup, put the chopped chocolate and the butter, and microwave at 50% power for 30 second increments. Stir after each 30 seconds, making sure to only microwave until just melted. If overheated the chocolate will seize and be unusable. It takes 1½ to 2 minutes in my microwave, but keep in mind that all microwaves are a bit different!
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the chocolate mixture with the sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly, mixing after each addition. Mix in the chopped dark chocolate, white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment, or grease lightly, and drop the cookie dough onto the sheets by the tablespoonful, spacing 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 13-14 minutes until they have some cracks on the surface. Don’t overbake! Allow to cool on the cookie sheets for 4-5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.