Mmmm, soup. Because by the time February rolls around, it kind of feels like winter is never going to end. Right?
And I even got to escape it last week and head to beautiful, sunny, warm Mexico. So I can’t really complain. And it’s not even super cold here. We’ve actually had a pretty mild winter, not insanely cold or snowy. But still. Come mid-February I always start to long for green grass and flowers. And the endless colds and coughs to be over for a few months.
Isn’t that the worst part of winter? I don’t even really mind the snow and cold all that much, but the endless stream of sick children does get a little tiresome. There is always someone sick from September until April. Ugh. Why do I live here again?! Does that happen in warmer parts of the world too? Or do you lucky people get one cold a year and that’s it? Or do you still have a cold and flu season and it doesn’t even matter where you live? Just curious.
At any rate, that’s enough whining about winter. Soup!!
That’s what we’re here to talk about. Soup is the antidote to cold winter days. At least it is for me. Something about a big bowl of hot soup when it’s snowing and cold out, it just makes it better.
The last time I made this chicken taco soup was actually on a very blizzard-y day. Cold and snowy and just plain nasty out. The exact kind of day that you want to curl up under a big blanket and eat some hot soup. Not that we did that. I have kids, soup and blankets with kids don’t mix. That would be a disaster waiting to happen. We ate at the table.
But, I like the thought of curling under a big blanket with a bowl of this soup! Maybe with a fire. Comfort in a bowl, that’s what this is.
We absolutely love this chicken taco soup. And it’s in the slow cooker which is a huge bonus, I think. So fast, so easy, and so, so tasty. it takes literally less than 15 minutes to toss everything into the slow cooker. Hit go and you have an amazing supper all ready for you. You can even make this soup with frozen chicken. No defrosting necessary, no pre-cooking of things on the stovetop first. None of that. Literally just toss everything in and turn it on. That’s it.
And you have the most amazing soup waiting for you when you’re ready for supper. You can’t beat that!
I’ve recently discovered Yummly for saving and storing recipes online! If you’re looking for an online recipe box to save your recipes, check out Yummly, you can easily save any recipe to your personal recipe box by clicking on the Yum button, which is at both the top and bottom of each of my posts. My publisher page on Yummly is here.
- 1 pound (450g) chicken breast, fresh or frozen
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 cups corn kernels (I used frozen)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped fine (optional)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lime, juiced
- cilantro leaves, torn
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- taco chips, crumbled
- Place all the soup ingredients in a slow cooker and cover. If your chicken is frozen, cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce to low for 7-8 hours, or just cook on high for 5-6 hours. If your chicken is fresh, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with 2 forks. It should shred very easily. Return it to the slow cooker and stir the soup to combine everything. Serve immediately with cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese and taco chips on top.
- Soup can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or can be frozen for 2-3 months.