Well, I promised some Mexican deliciousness before Cinco de Mayo, and here it is! (I checked, I haven’t quite missed it!)
These shrimp quesadillas with corn, black beans, lots of cheese and an avocado cilantro lime cream sauce for dipping are amazing. But then, I think that’s true of pretty much anything in the genre! We adore Mexican food around here, so even though we don’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo here in Canada, I’ll take any opportunity to have Mexican food. Holiday, weekend, random Tuesday. Don’t really care, I will always happily eat Mexican food.
Luckily my whole family feels the same way. As long as it’s not overly spicy for the kids everyone is happy if it’s Mexican food for supper.
These shrimp quesadillas will definitely be made again. Actually, really soon because I made twice as much as I needed so we have a bunch of leftover filling, which makes me very happy. Leftovers are awesome when they involve shrimp quesadillas with an avocado cream sauce!
So Happy Cinco de Mayo if you celebrate, and if you don’t, have some amazing shrimp quesadillas just because they’re tasty. Or because it’s a Friday. You don’t need a reason for Mexican food. It’s amazing, that’s reason enough!
If you’re looking for more Mexican recipes this week, here’s some of my favourites:
Have a great weekend everybody!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- juice and zest from ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice and zest from ½ lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ pound (225g) raw, peeled shrimp, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ¾ cup black beans
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large tortillas
- Prepare the avocado cilantro cream first. In a food processor or with an immersion blender, combine the garlic, yogurt, avocado, cilantro, lime zest and juice, and mix until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest and juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and jalapeno pepper and toss to combine.
- Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat. Add the shrimp mixture and stir fry until the shrimp is completely pink and cooked through. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan at this point, drain the liquid and return the pan to the heat. Add the corn and black beans and stir to combine with the shrimp. Heat through.
- Prepare the quesadillas: on half of each tortilla, sprinkle some shredded cheese, then spread a layer of the shrimp filling on top and cover with some more cheese. Fold the other half of the tortilla over top of the filling. Dry fry the quesadillas in a non-stick skillet over medium heat (if using the same skillet, wipe it clean first), flipping them once, until the tortillas are lightly browned and crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Slice into wedges and serve hot, with the avocado cilantro cream for dipping.