I’m just going to start off by saying that this is the best ranch dressing/dip I have ever had. And it’s completely homemade. And totally easy. So really, there’s no reason to go on buying the bottled stuff. Or the little packets of dip mix. Because this can replace both! And you can keep the mix in the freezer so you can make a whole bunch at once and have it on hand forever. Or thereabouts.
How awesome is that? So many recipes call for a tablespoon of that ranch dip mix, and I don’t know about you, but I never have it on hand. And I’m terrible at actually making a list before I go to the store, so it’s unlikely that I ever WILL have it on hand. Besides, there’s lots of weird chemicals and things in that stuff, so really you should just make this anyways. Seriously, so easy. And it takes no time at all. Okay, maybe a few minutes, but not long.
This homemade buttermilk ranch mix is amazing. Seriously amazing. I love it. And I love how easy it is.
What I don’t love is the giant mess I made with it today. That lovely little bowl of ranch dip in the pictures? Yeah, I totally dumped it all over my feet when I went to put it away. How does one even do that you ask? Well, I could not tell you. But I certainly managed to do it. All over my pink suede slippers. My fairly new pink suede slippers. I don’t even know what to do about that. Well, obviously I wiped it off, but they’re not totally clean. How do you even clean suede? Anyone? I would love to know how to fix this.
Not that that little story would really surprise anyone who knows me in real life. Total spaz here, I admit. But I’ve never managed to miss a bowl on the counter in front of me and actually pour something on my feet before. That’s just a new level of clumsiness right there. Oh well. At least this buttermilk ranch dressing is super easy to make so it won’t take long to mix up more. That’s something I suppose!
If anyone has tips on cleaning suede, please enlighten me! I would love it if I didn’t actually ruin my slippers with my clumsiness!
Also, try this buttermilk ranch mix. It’s awesome. Just don’t pour it on yourself. That’s less awesome.
- 1 cup buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried dill, divided
- 2½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a food processor or blender, combine the buttermilk powder with 1 tablespoon of the parsley and 1 teaspoon of the dill, plus the rest of the ingredients. Process for 15-20 seconds until everything is evenly combined. Stir in the other tablespoon of parsley and teaspoon of dill. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To make dip: Combine 3 tablespoons of the seasoning mix with 1 cup of sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and 1 cup of mayonnaise. You can also use 2 cups of sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of the mayonnaise if you prefer, we just prefer the taste with mayo in it.
- To make dressing: Combine 3 tablespoons of the seasoning mix with 1 cup of buttermilk and 1 cup of mayonnaise. If you’d like the dressing a different consistency, just use more or less buttermilk to make it the way you like.